Our Heritage

Calcutta Boys School was established by Bishop Dr. James Mills Thoburn (1836-1922) D.D.:LL.D, (Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church) in 1877. The school was first located on the rear veranda of the Thoburn Church Parsonage, then located opposite the Thoburn Church on Dharamtalla Street (Lenin Sarani) with its opening in Mott’s Lane, and then housed in a room in Whiteway Laidlaw Building (presently the Life Insurance/ Big Bazaar building at the crossing of S.N. Banerjee Road and Jawaharlal Nehru Road). The school finally acquired its own building at the current location on S.N Banerjee road in 1893, thanks in large measure, to the generosity of a man who could be regarded as the chief patron of the school: Sir Robert LaidlawKT (1856-1917). Sir Robert Laidlaw (M.P. for the east Renfrewshire, Scotland, from 1906-1910 and founder-chairman of the great business houses ‘Whiteaway, Laidlaw and Co.’ and the ‘Duncan Durian Rubber Estate, Ltd’) donated the land and erected the main building in 1893 and Renfrew House in 1902. He endowed the school with the 3 magnificent ‘Waverley Mansions’ in 1903 and established Calcutta Boys School Endowment Trust in 1904.

The middle building was elected in 1962, and named “Fritchley Building” to commemorate the dedicated service of Mr. Horace C. Fritchley (who served CBS for over 40 years as a Teacher & then the principal).

Over the years, Calcutta Boys School has extended beyond its mother campus in S.N. Banerjee Road to disseminate the light of education in Sonarpur, Beliaghata and Asansol as well. The New branch schools were established at Sonarpur in 2008, at Beliaghata in 2010 and Asansol in 2015.

Calcutta Boys School together with its branch campuses is distinctively a Christian Minority, Anglo-Indian institution and every influence is exerted in the formation of Christian character and nurturing of useful and faithful citizens of India.

© 2018 Calcutta Boys' School. All Rights Reserved.

Designed & Maintained by franciscan